Monday, May 6, 2013

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby has been one of my favorite books ever since I read it in high school (so long ago   -_-). Since the movie comes out soon, I was inspired to create a set based on the 1920s and what someone who attended Gatsby's parties might wear. I have studied women's fashion between the 1920s to the present, so I really enjoyed creating this outfit.

The 1920s was a time in which women started to enjoy a little more freedom and wore more comfortable clothes. Women began to wear pants and hemlines rose. Flappers were even more audacious because of their indifference towards what was considered appropriate behavior. I love the fact that women were encouraged by the women's rights movement and went for a more boyish  look by cutting their hair into bobs and flattening their curves.

I had to go with a flapper inspired dress because they are so iconic of the time. I thought a great fur coat and a cloche hat would be perfect to arrive to a party in.  I love how the delicate details of the dress, clutch, and cloche hat are heavily influenced by the lines and geometric patterns of art deco, which was popular during the time. This girl would definitely be a regular at Gatsby's parties.
Jigsaw vintage dress
$505 - jigsaw-online.com


Juicy couture jacket
$415 - farfetch.com



BUBA crossbody handbag
$520 - bubalondon.com




Alexis bittar jewelry
alexisbittar.com


Follow on Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with the 20's! Definitely my fave fashion era :) cool post. Oh and thanks for youur sweet comment on my blog too, sorry it took me so long to reply! Life is crazy xoxo

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress!

    X Laura

    http://bagsandsushi.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shoes :)
    xx

    Thank for your visit!!

    http://acrosstheuniverse-92.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait for the movie to come out! And your collage is gorgeous!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the movie <3

    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, gorgeous shoes! Thanks for the lovely comment left on my blog. Now following yours, you can follow back via GFC or Bloglovin' if you wish(:

    -Athenaxo
    modestlysophisticated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh love this look you put together!! definitely great gatsby and 20-esque :)

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pieces that you put together! Those are gorgeous jewelry and the dress looks divine! Can't wait for the movie to come out =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been seeing a lot of Great Gatsby themed pieces and collections lately. Your collage is on point and I'm loving that coat!

    xx
    www.wickedtides.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete